Thai Village

December 24, 2012
bangkok thailand

I was making pottery (for the first time!) on a spinning wheel. Kinda remind me of the movie Ghost 1990 but  my teacher was so cool so this was much less romantic. 

I visited Bangkok once and Hatyai several times before but I wonder what I actually know about their culture. No, I don't mean Thaigirl, ah kua show, elephant or whatever. I mean their traditional culture. 

17th BSGC didn't just end with the banquet dinner. The staffs and committee members at CU brought all participants to experience traditional Thailand culture in Sampran Riverside Thai Village. This was such an interesting program! We could experience different types of Thai culture, art and craft in real life and all in one place! 

It takes more than an hour from our hotel in Bangkok to reach here but trust me it's definitely worth the journey and time.

bangkok thailand
bangkok thailand
bangkok thailand bangkok thailand
bangkok thailand

There were altogether 12 stations where we got to try different activities at each stop. Being able to experience and get your hands on everything was so fun! The first station was traditional pottery where I made a beautiful vase (at least not... ugly.. not pictured and I'll most likely paint it) because the teacher taught well. Baba made this adorable little piggy lol.

bangkok thailand
bangkok thailand
bangkok thailand

Garland Making. We made orchid garland which is a symbol of respect

bangkok thailand

Rice Farming and milling. It was so hard to move the mill.

bangkok thailand

Herbal Pavilion, to make a herbal patch to cure muscle pain and sore.

bangkok thailand
bangkok thailand

Thai Boxing. Wear the costumes and box your friend.

bangkok thailand

Fruit Carving. Yeah right we all carved it. 

bangkok thailand

Silk Processing.

bangkok thailand

Traditional Weaving. This one I raise the white flag.

bangkok thailand

Bamboo dance was my favourite! And none of us kena 'giap'. *Proud face

bangkok thailand
bangkok thailand
bangkok thailand

Our group leaders were two Thai students at CU. They admitted they had never tried most of the activities although it's their own culture. I don't blame them. I myself have never fly a Wau, know all the rules for congkak, dance Joget or cook nasi lemak. I didn't even know whether there's such a gorgeous place in Malaysia where we can experience our own culture under one roof. I was excited, in fact we were all excited trying out Thai culture. Perhaps it's time for me to explore our own Malaysian culture. Just something to ponder about. =)

There's also elephant show and a Thai Village show which is the longest running show in the country. Apart from the workshops, the scenery of the village itself was beautiful. Peace.. tranquility... nature... it's all that we need in a vacation. 

http://www.sampranriverside.com/
http://www.facebook.com/SampranRiverside.Thailand?fref=ts


bangkok thailand

Oh! Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday!

Merry Christmas, Eve.


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.