건배! Cheers!


Makgeolli (a.k.a. makkoli, Korean rice wine, 막걸리) is a traditional beverage of the Koreans. Basically it's made by fermentation of boiled rice, wheat and water. The wine is milky-white in color, tastes sweet and has a fragrant aroma. It is 6-8% alcohol by volume.

And I love it! It's like the girlish version of the rice wine I used to drink, has a flowery scent, not as hot and pungent as soju, tastes 'smoother' and refreshing. Oh I did try soju and I didn't like it. This makgeolli is far more suitable for my taste.


The night after the cultural performance and farewell dinner at Inha University (post here), we girls had a night out to one of the local wine house to have some girls' talk. Min Ji and Krystal were indeed fantastic tour guides. They brought us to this wine house, I suppose it's called Lotus or something like that, which is located in a hidden place, somewhere behind a row of shops on the upper floor. It's definitely a place that couldn't be discovered without the guide of someone who is familiar with the area.

The round wooden menu was full of Korean characters and we totally had no idea what they serve. Even though our Korean friends, Min Ji and Krystal tried to explain on the food, I was all blank. I was secretly yelling, 'Just give me some nice food and drinks la!'

And they didn't disappoint me at all.


We had a whole jar of Makgeolli, pancakes, dubu (tofu) and of course, not a day goes by without Kimchi. This was a perfect combination of something refreshing, light but filling at the same time. Love it! Plus the dubu and kimchi was refillable. Love love it.


The night was even more perfect with the right atmosphese and ambience. It was really vintage, raw and traditional. Some young couples were sitting nearby and chit-chatting happily in their mother tongue while us, the big group of girls sitting at two tables, chirping like a bird in English, Chinese and poor Korean, talking about money, food, celebrities, memories, places... and boys.

Min Ji and Krystal even wrote us cards. Aww. I totally feel indebted to them as they were really helpful in everything, and so adorable and lovely all the time!

 

At the end of the night we all became really excited. We started talking loudly and dancing on the street. I suspected I was actually a little tipsy that night though I felt perfectly normal then. You know how all the drunken dudes think that they are conscious. I realized that when I looked back at the photos in which some of them were really blur and apparently my hand was not stable lol. All the girls got really excited too. We were hugging one another, bidding goodbye and uttering our sad feeling for leaving the country so soon. *wipe tears *sob (T.T)

I recorded some videos of the night which are yet to be edited into videos. Believe it or not, despite the fact that I already wrote more than 20 posts for my short summer in Korea, there are still around five hundred (YES 500) photos waiting for me. I can't stop smiling look at them and thinking about the time I had with these lovely girls!

Ahh makgeolli, cheers for good old days!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.